I believe that we should add it to the curriculum because not everybody wants to have to read the book that the school says you have to read. Like for example, all of the freshmen had to read the book, The Color of Water, By James McBride. Personally, I didn’t like the book because I thought that it was boring. There are a lot of people that would agree with this statement because of them not being entertained while they were reading it. But then there were of coarse the people who thought it was a very good book because it was touching and showed a lot of self-esteem from the main character. But as long as there is a majority of the people that do not like it, there will of course be problems with the reading comprehension because the people were not interested enough to get into the details of the book. But if we were able to get some Genre Fiction into the school curriculum, we would have a better time understanding all of what the book is trying to tell us because we would be interested in the book and would be willing to learn the details because it would help know the storyline. But the school should consider what kids are reading these days, like the Hunger Games or The Inheritance series. If we were to change this, the kids would be totally into the book and would understand the comprehension because they would start to compare themselves to the book. Like they would put themselves into the book by using their imagination and seeing if they would be able to survive what the character had been dealing with.
I would somewhat agree with you about the Color of Water book. My teacher in 8th grade didn’t tell me that it was a part of the freshmen curriculum so I read the book for my summer reading assignment. During the summer when I had time to read and no distractions from other classes I actually enjoyed the book because it had a good message and an interesting story. When I read it during the school year it was boring and I hated the way it was taught. Maybe it was because that would be the second time I read it...
ReplyDeleteI do think that it would be a great idea to read books like the Hunger Games the Inheritance Cycle but I feel like there is another time and place for that such as another class like this one. It would be very challenging to figure out how you could incorporate the Hunger Games into a school curriculum. :D
I agree, students need to be entertained by the books we read in school; otherwise students will be bored and just not do it. Granted, not everyone is going to love every book, but there should be a better variety.
ReplyDeleteI agree with just about everything, except i liked Color of Water. well i guess not 'liked,' but i definately tolerated it more than Jane Eyre. I WISH that the school board people would let us read the hunger games in school, but now that i think about it, wouldn't people almost dread reading it because they had no choice? (even though i find that incredibly hard to believe, the Hunger Games were amazing) Questions to think about:p
ReplyDelete